Monday, November 12, 2012

Proposal #2

Title: Braking the guy code

Author: I am a 19 year old boy, i grew up on a horse ranch working everyday with my father.  Ever sense i could remember i was waking up early to help my dad around the ranch, may it be hanging hot-wire, digging post wholes, fixing fences, building chicken coups or just mowing the lawns. Growing up my father taught me what it takes to be a man, he never said "this is how a man does things." but everyday i learned from watching or doing, just like my father did from his father. I learned the rules of being a man from him and i was expected to fallow these rules. I never noticed until recently but i never did the same chores my sister, my sister helped my mother around the house cleaning or doing laundry. i grew up doing "mans work".

Date: Times are changing, from a time when being a man meant you had to fallow a strict list of rules, to now when its okay to not fallow the list of rules and show emotion.

Topic: Micheal Kimmel's "Bros Before Hos: The Guy Code" and its effects

Exigence: In Micheal Kimmel's "Bros Before Hos: The Guy Code"  Kimmel explains the rules in being a man, how boys are taught these rules, the effects if one doesn't follow the rules he will be ridiculed and be striped of the tittle of MAN and then Kimmel discusses the  psychological development and effects of the Guy Code.  I agree with everything Kimmel says, i agree with the rules of the guy code i agree with what happens if a bot doesn't fallow those rules and the long term psychological development.

Intended Audience: college students and interested readers about the effects of the Guy code rules.

Purpose: To inform skeptical people of the effects that the strict rules the guy code are do effect every boy.

Ethos: I'm a 19 year old male, my father taught me what it means to be a man. I grew up trying to fallow the rules behind being a man, I personally know what happens if you don't fallow the rules set by the guy code.

Pathos: I have countless stories as a kid watching my father work and thinking to my self "when i grow up i want to be just like may dad", being just like my father would make me a real man. But out of all of these memories one is stuck in my mind, I was 13 and helping my dad put up wire horse fence. I would try my best to pull the fence tight against the posts, while my dad would nail it down. For my dad it only took him one swing with the hammer to hide the nail in the post, so long story short, my grip on the fence slipped causing my dad's hand holding the nail to move at the last moment in which his hand with the hammer smashed his fingers. I was terrified, expecting the wrath of god to rain down on my at that moment, but with his fingers turning black and purple right in front of my eyes all he did was gab another nail and ask me "do you think you can hold the fence this time?", he showed no emotion towards the pain or me for messing up. In my mind he was the toughest, strongest and more of a man i have ever seen or met at the time. I have seen my father break the guy code very few times and that makes me think he is even more of a man for doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment